Hook Mechanics Exemplified by Nonito Donaire
From Coach Elton Wells: Last night we worked on mechanics of the hook. A great example in modern boxing is Nonito Donaire, a Filipino boxer who's known for his left hook. First take a look at the video below which shows his hook in slow motion from multiple angles, then take a look at this clip from Instagram from another fight in full-speed. In particular look for some of the points we worked last night.
- Hook elongates for the range, not pulled in tight.
- Hook travels in ovular trajectory, not circular.
- Arc tightens at contact point, creating acceleration (centripetal force).
- Hook follows through the target, does not stop at target.
- Ending elbow/hip position, which transfers weight into the target.